The firm was originally established in 1892 when New Zealander Newman Chennels opened Chennels Estate Agents at 36 and 37 Havelock Road.
He was joined in 1903 when Sydney Dyer bought a half share of the business. At this point the practice had it's first name change to Chennels & Dyer. In 1911 a third partner, AW Gallaway, joined and Chennels, Dyer and Gallawy was formed. By this time Havelock Road had become a favourite area for Estate Agents offices and remains so to this day. In 1924 Percy Overton became a partner and the firm's name changed again, this time to Dyer & Overton. Sydneys son Hugh joined in 1926 and upon qualifying as a Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, became a Partner in 1932.
There were various other partners in the company from time to time including Mrs Sheila Pratt and Ralph Hynard FRICS, both very well respected property professionals of their time. The firm began to become increasingly involved in Commercial Property during these years specialising in property surveys, rent reviews and property management.